My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://knealesm.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday 23 September 2013

The Guardian's 100 best novels: No 1 - The Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan (1678)


I was delighted to see this in today's Guardian. Delighted for two reasons: (1) It is an absolutely magnificent book; a classic in the truest sense, and; (2) It is about the only piece of fiction that has genuinely changed my life; through it I became a Christian.

True to form, the Guardian insist on seeing the book as "an allegory of state repression" without paying heed to the patently obvious allegory actually intended by Bunyan.

Nevertheless, I'm so pleased the Guardian counted it amongst their 100 best novels - placing it at No. 1 no less - and always think on it with fondness. If you only ever read one "classic" in your lifetime, make it this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment